Before you walk away from your dream home because of a small bathroom, think again. A small bathroom should not be a deal breaker nor should it equate to a costly renovation. As the premier real estate agent for homes for sale in Thornhill, I would like to offer you the following tips on how to make your small bathroom look bigger.
Think about adding more mirrors or larger mirrors to your small bathroom to open up the space. Mirrors reflect light which will make your bathroom appear more spacious. Some ideas to consider when choosing the right mirror for your bathroom include:
• Frame it. A framed mirror can make a dramatic statement and will tie the room together. Think about a brass or brushed steel frame to add a modern or timeless look to your bathroom.
• Change the shape. Instead of using the standard rectangular shape, think about replacing it with either an oval or circular shaped mirror. These shapes will add a touch of softness and sophistication to your bathroom.
Streamline Your Storage
Pay particular attention to the storage space in your bathroom. Try to streamline all storage and keep it as close and flush to the walls as possible. Anything that sticks out from the walls or is asymmetrical will chop up the space and make it feel closed off. Try installing recessed shelving and medicine cabinets to achieve this.
Make sure to eliminate all clutter in your bathroom. This includes removing the bathmat when you are not using it. Try to keep only the bare necessities in your bathroom to prevent overcrowding.
Here’s the Deal:
As a general rule – if you don’t need it, store it elsewhere.
Another great trick to create the illusion of space is to move your shower curtain rod up to the ceiling. This will make the ceiling seem taller and make the space seem larger. You can also do this with window dressings in your bathroom, making your windows appear bigger.
Shed Some Light
Bright rooms always feel more spacious than dark ones. Bring as much light as possible into your small bathroom to open it up and create space. Some ways of creating a lighter, brighter space include:
• Change the colour. Paint the walls and even the ceiling the same pale colour to reflect light. Multiple colours tend to break the room into separate compartments making it seem smaller.
• Add more lighting. Install additional wall mount lighting or ceiling fixtures to increase the light in your bathroom.
• Windows. If you have windows in your bathroom, make sure to remove any blinds or curtains to maximize the amount of natural light.
These simple tips should make your small bathroom appear bigger. If you would like more information on any of the tips or are interested in some of the new homes that are for sale in Thornhill, please contact me today.