A lush green lawn is not achieved overnight, but is a product of a well-established routine and some important steps. In order to achieve a coveted, healthy yard this summer, you need to start your lawn care now. As your premier real estate agent for homes for sale in Springfarm Yorkville, I would like to share these spring lawn care tips.
The first thing on your spring lawn care maintenance list needs to be a general yard clean up and a thorough rake. It is important to clear the layer of dead grass known as thatch. If not removed, thatch can cause all kinds of problems for your lawn such as drought, dead patches and encourage the growth of unwanted weeds. By removing this dead layer of grass, you will promote proper aeration and a deeper and more even watering of your lawn.
Seed, Weed and Sod
After removing the thatch from your yard, the next step should be to seed or sod your lawn. A reseeding of your yard will fill in any thin or bare areas. In extreme cases of large dead patches, you may need to add sod to fill in the area.
The best protection against weeds is a well-established routine of mowing, irrigating and feeding. However, to give your lawn a head start against weeds, you may want to remove any dandelions or other invasive weeds at the root before applying a layer of seeds.
Early Season Maintenance
Before mowing your yard for the first time, take a few minutes to perform the following important maintenance points on your lawn mower.
- Change the oil.
- Clean or replace the air filter and sparkplug.
- Add a fuel stabilizer to help your lawn mower’s engine run smoothly.
- Sharpen the blade. A dull blade can damage the grass on your lawn and make it more susceptible to disease.
Establish a Lawn Care Routine
The earlier you establish a routine, the healthier and more vibrant your yard will be. An effective method should include the following:
- An irrigation routine. Always water your lawn early in the morning or in the evening to prevent burning and to minimize the amount of evaporation. Remember to follow all city bylaws and pay attention to any water restrictions.
- Seed and feed your lawn a few times a year. Follow the instructions on the bags and never overfeed your lawn as it may burn or kill the grass.
- Mow more often. Choose a higher setting and alternate the directions each time you mow to encourage a healthy lawn.
By following these important spring lawn care tips, you will enjoy a healthy and lush yard this summer. If you would like more tips or are interested in some of the new and exciting real estate properties that are available in Springfarm Yorkhill, please contact me today. I look forward to hearing from you soon.